GreenScapes helps both commercial and residential clients to apply eco-friendly landscape services to design, installation and maintenance programs. Plants, soils, water, materials and human health are the important components in sustainable landscaping systems.
GreenScapes begins with a design that is not only visually pleasing, but also functional and environmentally friendly.
- how the space will be used
- the plant and landscape needs
- the site conditions
- the need for renovation
- the timeline and the budget
- the time needed for maintenance
GreenScapes develops a plan focused on good design, enhances ecological systems and is economically viable.
Creating a sustainable landscape requires a balance between the types of materials used and the results that will be gained.
- Mulch: organic mulches retain moisture while increasing soil fertility
- Live roofs: incorporating living roofs of plant material into both commercial and residential design to reduce rainwater runoff and save energy with the insulating factor of the plants
- Plants: using the right plant in the right place can cool the soil and the air, reduce airborne dust and erosion, need less trimming thus reducing yard waste, and also need less water and fertilizer
- Hardscape materials: using pavements that reduce negative impacts and have a longer life
- Drainage: using materials to manage storm water, allow for adequate drainage, and minimize water problems
- Landscape lighting: keep energy consumption to a minimum by using low voltage or other energy-efficient systems that still offer safety, security and beauty
- Landscape maintenance: keep maintenance to a minimum by designing landscapes that are not chemically dependent or create excess amounts of yard waste, reduce mowing and irrigation
GreenScapes uses a variety of installation techniques that result in a more eco-friendly landscape:
- Dry wells
Create areas filled with gravel or rock to manage runoff from the gutter that is filtered before entering streams and waterways
- Green wall design and installation
Stabilize the grade and add greenery and beauty by constructing retaining walls with planting areas
- Bio-filters design and installation
Plant native plants in a reservoir area where runoff is filtered out before entering rivers and streams
- Permeable paver design and installation
Create a solid surface that still allows storm water and pollutants to drain through the surface in a natural, ecological way
- Drip, low volume and intelligent irrigation
Avoid over watering, manage water flow by using irrigation control systems
- Vegetable and herb gardens
Produce your own fresh food by designing and planting vegetable and herb gardens
- Native plants that reduce energy costs
Use local suppliers and use plants that require less water and maintenance; plant evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs to cool buildings in the summer and warm in the winter
Recycling and maintenance
GreenScapes has used recycling in processes for three decades. At the nursery we separate yard waste into categories that can be recycled or reused to improve the soil and planting areas.